On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 08:06:56AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
| Doug McLaren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|
| >Actually, the Triton can charge through a diode.  It can't discharge
| >(which makes sense), but it can charge.
|
| I don't know why you're saying that, but you're wrong.

No, I'm not.  I do it all the time, and here's some pictures of me
doing it :

   http://mclaren.frenzy.com/~dougmc/RC/triton-charging-through-diode/

You'll notice that I'm charging and measuring through the charge jack
on these radios.  None of them have been modified by me to bypass the
diode, and I show this by measuring the voltage on the port with the
charger not connected.  Yes, a miniscule amount of current does leak
through the diode, but I don't think it's enough to make a charger
happy.

Note that the batteries on these radios were not dead before I
measured them -- they may not have been fully charged, but they were
charged enough for the radio to work.

I wanted to ditch the transmitters entirely for the picture, and show
you a picture of a diode and a battery pack being charged through it,
but couldn't find an appropriate diode.  Maybe later, if I can find
one in my stuff.

| In normal operation the Triton stops charging for a few seconds each
| minute in order to sense the battery voltage and monitor the
| progress of the charge. With a diode in the circuit, the battery
| voltage doesn't appear at the charging jack, causing the test to
| fail immediately.
|
| (See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1081041&postcount=1

To be fair, that link says nothing about charging through a diode.

As for the part where it periodically stops charging and checks the
voltage, while I didn't take a picture of this happening (maybe I will
shortly), it still does work, and gives an accurate reading even
through the diode.  I assume that it works by the Triton putting a
miniscule current through -- perhaps 1 mA -- and then measuring the
voltage needed to push that current through.  1 mA is close enough to
zero that the voltage you get will be almost exactly the same if there
was no current, but it's enough that you can get an accurate reading
even through a diode.

| In fact, a Triton won't even start charging in the first place if it
| doesn't first detect the voltage from a battery on its output. With
| a diode in the circuit, the Triton would only return a "no batt"
| error message.

My Astroflight 110D works as you say, and I was quite pleasantly
surprised when I found that the Triton did work through the diode.

| Also, even if the charger could somehow be rigged into charging
| anyway, the forward voltage drop across the diode would confuse the
| smart charging circuitry and give unwanted results.

No.  In general, a diode will introduce a 0.5 volt or so drop if you
go across it in the right direction.  But this voltage drop is pretty
much fixed, so it just changes the voltage reading on the transmitter
-- peaks and dips are still the same peaks and dips, and your charger
stops charging just like it would without the diode.  At least the
Triton does.

If I were to take the battery out and not charge through the diode,
you'd find that the voltage needed would be smaller, but that's all
the diode does -- it burns up some of the voltage.  (It also absorbs
0.5v * (whatever amperage) in heat, so you don't want to charge at a
high rate, or you risk ruining the diode.)

Yes, a diode WOULD cause problems charging a LiPo pack, as your
charger would not fully charge it.  But these are NiCds, not LiPos,
and there is no such problem, because you don't stop charging NiCds at
a specific voltage.

| It's very well known that peak chargers can't be used to charge radios
| through their charging jacks unless any safety charging diodes in the radio
| are bypassed. You'll find it in virtually any general FAQ about our hobby.

I understand what you're saying, but there are ways around that, and
the Triton does it.  My pictures prove it.

I believe that other peak chargers now work through diodes too.  For
example, this one seems to --

   http://www.hobbico.com/chargers/hcam3005.html

though I can't test it myself, as I don't have one.  My Astroflight
110D definately does not, but my two Tritons definately do.

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
`Dear Lord: Please make my words sweet and tender, for tomorrow I may