My favourite choice:
Company Car (minivan).  Free Gas. Free miles.

(130 miles and 170 miles round trip to club fields. (209 and 274 kilometers respectively.))

Steven Meyer
SOAR

At 12:22 PM 5/2/2005, Jim Laurel wrote:
So, the discussion about the suitability of Corvettes for hauling sailplanes got me to thinking more about my next choice of vehicle. It should have the following attributes:

1) Space to haul 2 unlimited planes and a 2 meter plane + winch, toolbox, 1 Optima battery, turnaround, radio cases + at least 1, preferably 2 passengers
2) Fast and comfortable for those long hauls to away contests
3) Reasonable fuel economy (20-21mpg highway minimum)
4) All wheel drive, since here in Washington the passes are often a mess, roads are often wet, and I like to ski after work in the winter.
5) Decent driving dynamics
6) Enough clearance to travel forest service roads to slope sites
7) NOT a minivan

Here's my short list:
--Volvo XC70
--Audi A6 Avant
--Audi S4 Avant (not sure if long enough)
--Dodge (Mercedes) short wheelbase Sprinter (no AWD yet, but likely for 2007 model year)
--Subaru whatchamacallit wagon

I have an old Land Rover 110 that has been a project vehicle for 2 years and is now nearing completion. Size-wise, it's about perfect, but it is slow, lumbering, and eats high octane petrol like there's no tomorrow (curse the DOT and EPA for not getting us decent diesel fuel sooner; I'd love to have a nice 300 Tdi rather than the V8). Plus, the HVAC system is useless - pretty much windows up or down. In the plus column, however, it will get you to any slope site you like and then some. It's also got a rooftop tent, which might be nice for those 2-day contests.

Let's hear some suggestions!

--Jim Laurel