Ok, ok, everyone...  So I know the inclusion of the Sprinter got everyone
confused.  That was a pretty random item on my list and I would be hard
pressed to choose that one.  It is, however, a very interesting vehicle.
These and similar designs, such as the Ford Transit will eventually replace
the traditional American-style full size van.  They have superior capacity,
maneuverability, economy, and handling.

I'm inclined against SUVs as well, due to handling and fuel economy.  They
do have the space and the ability to travel to slopes, though.  My wife has
been driving a Land Rover Discovery for almost 10 years now and it is an
excellent vehicle.  But it eats gas like crazy and is a bit tiring when
you're flogging it along on a long trip.  If you need the weight bearing
capacity, it's great, and it is very very good off road.

It seems like a station wagon or car-based SUV might be the best choice.  It
should be "big enough" but still a reasonably entertaining drive, which kind
of rules out the pickups and truck-based SUVs.  However, some of the
car-based SUVs will be worth a look.

Volvo loaned me an XC90 as a journalist demo once when I was doing an
article for Slate's "Well Traveled" on Scandinavian design.  I drove it
through Denmark, Sweden and Finland in February, so have a good idea of its
winter abilities.  I liked it quite a bit, but was a little bothered by its
front wheel drive bias.  The front wheels would always scratch for grip for
a few moments before the abs kicked in and directed some torque to the rear
wheels.  But that was minor.  The best thing about the XC90 was the really
clever and flexible rear seating set up.  You could carry 4 passengers with
skis (or sailplanes) down the middle and gear in the back, seven passengers
with all the seats unfolded, fold all the seats and have a big flat space
for cargo, 4 passengers with something long running up one side, remove
seats altogether or several other combinations.

A few hours carving up some rural roads in a good handling car is always
good fun!  I'm not convinced the Volvo XC90 or XC70 is up to that.

The Audi S4 would be really sweet, if only it is big enough for unlimited
sailplanes in bags.  I'll have to measure it and see.  With 340hp, 6 speed
stick and AWD in a small station wagon, it's sure to be very entertaining
indeed.  But clearance might be an issue.  The Allroad is just about
perfect, and has the clearance, but it's a bad time to buy one, as Audi is
updating the styling across the line, and Allroad is due.  Maybe a new one
by next year, unless they decide that it doesn't make any sense sitting in
between the A4 and A6 Avants.  I would also assume that they are going to do
an S6 Avant, like the A4/S4, ground clearance issue will be a problem.

--Jim