Is there a way to test the quality of a receiver using some kind of
electronic measuring device - and has it been done?

I am looking for what's "best" and want to know if the data is available.

The reason being is all receiver data I have found is wholly
subjective - "X brand is better, I never had a problem" or "X brand
receiver has the best range I have ever seen".

Sometimes these praises come from manufacturers or distributors and
which can further complicate the truth.

Field range tests are dependant on so many variables that the "what
works for you" theory is not very helpful to anyone else.

Has anyone ever sat at their workbench and measured in a controlled,
quantifiable way? Who's got the tools to do so?

Thanks, Paul