From: Jeff Steifel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 9:49 AM
To: John
Cc: RCSE
Subject: Re: [RCSE] OVSS and Line Breaks

A weak link slows down the contest because it has to be replaced. If it
is the last ring you must put a new one on. If it is between the line
and chute you must get the chute. Limiting power doesn't slow the
contest down.

New winches aren't necessary. Resistors could be made of all thread or
anything.... But all would have to meet the resistance test.
Admittedly not all winches will be of the same power there either.
Differences in drum diameter create different power bands. The smaller
the drum the more power.

the larger drums create more speed but less power...
Single support vs dual supported drum, real balls vs oilite.... all add
to the differences.
But assuming that power is restricted you level the playing field quite
a bit. No one can draw the max power from the winch, and the brushes
should last longer too by eliminating the higher current.

John wrote:

>Jeff I agree that limited power winches would be a great thing, but it is
>not practical for all club to get new winches. I don't understand why a
week
>link slows down a contest. In theory the weak link is the part that breaks
>and almost all breaks will not be re-launched. When it is not the weak link
>the only fair thing to do is re-launch because the line was damaged in the
>first place and that is the cost of doing business.
>
>John

MOM