On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 06:26:13PM -0400, Michael Zusi wrote:

| Excuse me if I am not following protocol.  I am venturing into a new
| listserve.

The usual protocol is to watch the list for a while before you post,
but there's nothing wrong with your post ...

| I am venturing into r/c flying.  I'm a Navy pilot.  Fly privately,
| am a tow pilot and have soloed a glider.  The big stuff is great but
| I would love to learn to fly a r/c glider among the crows in my
| backyard.  Any suggestions?

The big one is that while you already know how to fly, flying an R/C
plane is different.  Sure, they fly on the same principles, but how
you perceive it is totally different.  Stories of experienced full
scale pilots trying R/C flying on their own and crashing their planes
in 10 seconds are not rare at all.  It's not that they can't fly, it's
just that it's ... different, and while you're up there is not the
time to figure out how it's different and figure out how to correct
for it.

Ideally, you'll find somebody nearby who's familiar with R/C planes
who can show you the ropes.  A few minutes of assistance from somebody
in person can save you hours and hours of frustration, not to mention
lots of money.

| I've thought of the rtf products as an introduction but then I may
| be stuck with tx and receivers that aren't compatible with more
| advanced aircraft.

Well, I'll assume you'll avoid the `toys' where everything is
completely ready to go -- things like you'll get at Wal-Mart, or even
the somewhat better planes like the Firebirds and others.

Once you get into the `serious' R/C planes, you'll find that the
receivers and servos and stuff are all seperate from the plane and
generally interchangable (though smaller planes generally require
smaller gear.)  This, probably more than anything else, differentiates
the `toy' RC planes from the serious ones.

More fancy planes generally use more channels.  You can have a very
enjoyable glider with 2 channels, but a serious plane might use 7 or
even more.  If you get a computer radio with at least 7 channels (like
the Hitec Eclipse, Futaba 7c or 9c, or many others), you'll probably
find that this one transmitter can control lots of planes and you're
not likely to outgrow it for a while.  It'll cost more, however ...

| flights with launch but also want to park fly in my backyard.  Any
| suggestions on how to proceed?

There seems to be an R/C club in your city --
http://www.frederickmodelaircraftclub.org/.  Go to their field, watch
them fly, talk to them.  Looks like they do powered planes rather than
gliders, but they'll still be a good resource.  And who knows -- maybe
you'll like the glow planes :)

As for park fliers, I'm pretty fond of my Slow Stick, but there's lots
and lots to choose from.

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
internet, eh?  I hear they have that on computers now.