Good point, especially with a cheap LED type read out, basically
useless. With the Aero Spectra, the range is much larger, granted, it is
not in your plane to say what is happening up there, but it will tell
you signal strength in actual db's which is the important part. If a
signal exists but is only 10 db, chances are it will have no effect on
your R/C system which will only typically have a problem with a
competing signal over 40-45 db's. If you see something over 30db, you
might reconsider flying. The antenna on the Aertospectra is very large,
and can even be fitted to a large remote antenna for stationary use at a
club. You get what you pay for.
Bottom line, unless you understand the limitations of the device you are
using regardless of price, it will tell you little or nothing useful.
JD

Endless Mountain Models
http://www.scalesoaring.com