I am actually not quite sure what Chris is so upset about but it sounds like he may not have a clear picture of what the change to the HL rules was all about. I will attempt to clear this up.

The original HL rules required a contestant to get the contest director's approval prior to switching to a backup model. The original rules also did not allow the contestant to go back to his primary model later in the contest should he be able to repair the model between rounds.

Every hand launch contest that I fly in including the IHLGF allows for free substitution of models without prior approval of the contest director. This is what makes sense for a HL contest since there is simply no time to hunt down the contest director and get approval to switch planes while the round clock is running. The change in the AMA NATS HL rules addresses this issue and brings the NATS more in line with other top level HL events. You are no longer required to get prior approval to switch planes and you are allowed to switch back to the primary plane later in the contest.

What Chris and many others could not possibly know is how this change came about. It was through the initiative and major efforts of Tom Kiesling that this positive change has been made. In the past couple weeks there has been a dialog taking place between Tom, AMA officials and some other interested parties regarding this change. The AMA was very helpful, understanding and cooperative throughout. They had certain procedures that they were required to follow and had to fit the change into the existing AMA rule book structure. Part of that structure was the requirement to publicly post any rule book deviations prior to the contest. There are other, smaller adjustments to the HL rules that many HL contestants would like to see. These changes are currently being discussed and may soon be addressed in an actual rule book amendment. For now I would like to publicly thank Tom Kiesling, Steve Kaluf, Ed Franz, and the other AMA officials involved for their efforts to improve the AMA NATS HL rules. They did a great job of clearing up the primary problems with the rules on short notice. I am sure that their continued efforts in the coming months will further refine the rules and bring them up to date with other major HL events and keep pace with HL development that has occurred in DLG over recent years.