David Nasatir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>1) What is the recommended action for operating the tow release
>mechanism, (currently on channel 8)?
>2) In the absence of advice against this practice, I would like to open
>the release by activating the timer switch on my Jr XP8103.  What would
>be the appropriate mixing instructions to do that?

The timer switch isn't available for mixing so you'll have to forget about
that. The switches that are available to control AUX3 (channel 8) are:

1. The BTFY (crow or butterfly) switch, located on the top-left just in front
of the timer switch. At the default glider settings, that switch already
switches AUX3 between full on and full off, but that switch is very useful
for other purposes such as switching between variable crow and variable
camber, so I don't think it would be a very good choice for your tow release.
There's a way to disable its effect on AUX3 if you want to use a different
control.

2. The MIX switch, located exactly where your timer switch is except on the
right side of the radio instead of the left, but again, you might want to use
that for other purposes such as switching in flaps coupled to ailerons,
ailerons coupled to flaps, rudder coupled to ailerons, etc. I don't think
that's generally a good choice either.

3. The three-position FLAP switch just to the left of the display, but again,
it's probably too useful to tie up as a tow release. (Of course this all
depends upon how your plane's configured, but you haven't mentioned anything
about that yet.)

4. You could also use either the POT5 or POT6 potentiometer. I don't think
many people use those for any other purposes. I keep mine disabled. A
potentiometer would work if you don't mind rotating a knob to operate your
release.

If you decide that you want to use one of these options, please post here on
the list rather than by private email and we can talk about how to do it.

Mike
--
                      _____