I'm missing something here.  The Nats is the national championship because we
say it is.  Why do we want to thow the baby out with the bathwater.  If you
want a national funfly - then organize one.  There are 51 other weeks you can
do whatever you want at the national flying site.

A lot of people work VERY hard to put on an event the size of the nats and
apparently a lot of people LIKE to attend the event.  Your statements about
declining participation are not true.  Based on the statistics for the last 2
nats, participation is up in all of the events except HL.  Your statement about
20-40 pilots flying any given day is ludicrous.  There are 160 registered
entrants and 125 pilots participated in Unlimited! While some people (including
me) have opinions on how the event should be organized and what should be
included, ultimately the LSF makes those decisons with our input.

If YOU want a national funfly - then YOU organize one and see if they come!  I
don't see the need to trash a perfectly good event that, in terms of numbers of
soaring pilots, is in the top 3 of all soaring events in the country.

I understand that YOU don't like soaring competitions, but it is not necessary
to criticize those that do.  You refer to "diehard" competition pilots as if
it's a bad thing.  I understand your agenda is to promote scale soaring and I
wish you great success, but it does not have to come at the expense of other
facets of the hobby.  You appear to think that those that like "Launch and
Land" competitions are odd, but I'm sure that there are some that think that
worrying about how my cute little pilot figure looks in my scale glider is a
little odd too!

Let people participate in whatever events they enjoy - it's no skin off your
nose.  If you provide the alternatives, perhaps you are right and competition
soaring as we know it will die the ugly death you predict.  Just don't expect
others to implement your vision of true happiness.

Jim Monaco
Organizer of the US F3J Team Selections...
Just another launch and land contest!!!

=== message truncated ===