Typical to not listen to what dad says.  Ask Jim McCarthy about that. :-)

Not much different then us mortals. We learn to fly then learn to read air. The second part seems to be the toughest.

Get him a DLG to learn air. Get him a performance plane to fly and build skills launching and landing. Whatever you can afford. :-)

Enjoy the precious few moments, soon it will be all about girls and his friends.

Steve