On Monday 07 November 2005 01.22, David Nasatir wrote:
> What will be the flight behavior consequence of a very long tail moment?

Hi, David

Two things happen, which has - more or less - the same effect:

As the power of the tail is tail arm length times the tail area, you'll get
a powerful tail, but due to the long tail arm's weight you will get
some inertia effects, too.

So when the wing is lifted by a thermal the tail will make the wing pitch up
more than with a shorter tail with the same tail volume, as one says (tail
arm length, times tail span, times tail chord is tail volume). If the tail
area is normal the same will happen, but this time due to the longer
tail arm, with its greater inertia, and the higher tail volume!

So stabler flight & more powerful elevators, that's the main effect -
unless there are tail boom bending/flutter problems :-)!

More like a B-52 than a Fighting Falcon ...

> I believe it was about 1946 when I first realized that there is often a
> substantial distance  between the way I envision things and the way they
> turn out after I have actuallty built them.   It doesn't matter too much
> (at least to me) however, as I enjoy the process ...

I seem to have been in the same class, as my sketches seldom look
like the finished product (I usually do a new sketch afterwards, using
the finished product as the model - makes the sketch and model
look much more the same).

Lately I worked mostly with aluminium and stainless bolts - yeah,
not model aircraft, but rigs and other stuff for my small boat ...

Tord