--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Lee Estingoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I also think that the AMA better come up with some REAL solution to
the
> Parkflyer / renegade flier (vs. or nearby) traditional fields
issue.  Seems
> to me a long time ago the AMA could have simply huddled with the 3
or 4 RC
> TX manufacturers and gotten them to voluntarily put the parkie (4
channel
> and under) radios on a select few channels and warned the rest of
us to stay
> clear (like driving on New Year's Eve).

You can either look at this as a problem, or an opportunity.  Lee, I
don't know if you meant it this way, but your post comes across
pretty negative towards park flyers.

Instead of looking at these models and these flyers as a problem, why
not look at them as an opportunity?  I fly quite a bit at local
parks, having never lived in a city with a dedicated soaring club
(except while I was at Purdue).  Every time I meet another person at
a park with an airplane (be it $30.00 "on off" model, a throttle and
rudder "aerobird" model, or a guy flying a "3D" style ship), I always
introduce myself and get their email address.  I always ask them what
channel they are on (and more often than not, they do not know) and
explain that I would not want to be on the same channel as them and
it cause their model to fly improperly.

See, this is what I don't understand about people who think "they
other guy" is going to cause a frequency problem for them.  It goes
both ways.  A modeler with a parkflyer does not want his pride and
joy to be damaged as much as we don't want our super moldie to be
damaged.  That 2K we have in a moldie very well could be the economic
equivalent of what a college student has in his 3D fomie.

OK, back onto constructive things.  Unfortunately, I moved away from
Indy, but I had built up a network of about 25 pilot's emails
addresses.  I was sending out an email about once a week to let folks
know when I and others would be out at the field and if I would bring
my high start along.  Some folks used this group to start indoor
electric flying, and a few of the pilots actually started flying
gliders.  One of the new pilots I tried to help out actually attended
the Nats for the first time this year.

So instead of looking at park flyers as a problem, why don't we
invite them into the fold?  I flew both my LSF 4 1 hour flights at
this park along side park flyers flying GWS planes and 3D planes.
Our hobby can and does coexist!  It just takes a bit of working
together.  A positive attitude can and does go along way.  Treating
parkflyer pilots like an equal (regardless of the type or cost of
their model) will go a long way towards building mutual respect.

Off soap box….

Ryan