Here's my $.02 on the whole thing...

First, just about all modern-day equipment, digital or analog, can handle
the "nominal" 6V that we associate with a 5-cell pack. That being said...
There are 2 "problems" with running a 5-cell pack:
1) A 5-cell pack is "nominally" rated at 6.0V BUT...Hot off the charger it
is substantially more than the nominal 6.0V (check it some time for
yourself). That is where the "jitters" you hear about come in AND it does
subject your system components to some pretty harsh treatment. Fortunately
it doesn't last very long BUT it is over-stressing your components to some
degree.
2) A 5-cell pack, with the same mah rating as a 4-cell pack, will provide
LESS flight time than the 4-cell pack...PERIOD. 5-cells gives you more
voltage, when you give your equipment more voltage (V), it draws more
current (A). It'll make that servo seem faster and more powerful but the
cost is in current draw, which saps your battery more, and yes, it "might"
shorten your servo life a tad. Keep in mind, particularly with analog
servos, that those little tiny gears are typically not designed for that
extra "oomph" that you're getting either (keep spares on-hand <G>).

Lastly, I just gotta ask the question...How many pilots out there can
really, I mean REALLY, tell the difference??? Does it make THAT much
difference if your servo moves .0x seconds faster? Can you REALLY feel or
see it? Do you REALLY think THAT is going to make you the next WC or get you
down on time and on the spot??? The proper approach to get more powerful or
faster servos, IMHO...Buy more powerful or faster servos to begin with!!! It
never ceases to amaze me that some people will put over $1500 into an
aircraft (power, glider, heli) and then try to save a few dollars on the
servos!

That's my $.02 ~ Happy New Year to all!

-Sheldon-
YNT uDesign