As one who's actively developing and flying flight assist electronics, I
can honestly say it does not make me or my customers better pilots. We
don't score any higher or finish with any more points. I do believe
that if the device is a success (only from a technical aspect) that it
can help in getting into the 'feel good' mood that all of us can fall
into at one time or another. And when we feel good, we fly good. It's
that confidence level thing.

I think this topic does warrant careful examination. I agree with what
Jim said:

"I think for our hobby to grow we have to progress, when it stagnates
like
it has over the years, it's no wonder we have no new blood, and guys
that
did participate for years drift away to other past times so they can
continue to learn and grow."

...with reservation.

Our hobby has progressed a fair bit with airframe design and computer
radios.

I wonder what kind of comments were exchanged on that contest day when
the first mixing computer radios appeared? I wonder... were they
embracing the new technology or were the comments more inline with
what's been expressed here?

In my mind, the only reason one would object to advances in performance
is because "they' don't want to embrace it, for whatever reason. And
when it comes from top level pilots, their opinions sound more
authoritative than others; speaking for the group, if you will. But all
it is, in fact, is that they don't want to risk loosing what they have
fought so long and hard for.

There are many reasons I've seen and heard.

They don't want to spend the money, they don't want to re-learn a
technique, they don't want anyone else getting an advantage if they opt
out, they think it will destroy the hobby (assuming all their top
standing buds will stand in defiance and drop out if the changes are
allowed to progress), it's not fair to us who have made it the 'hard
way' (I love that one), etc... you pick the reason; I've seen and heard
them all.

But one common thought I see when I read between the lines is... It's
all about 'me'... and it's almost never about 'us'. In person, I have
yet to get a condescending opinion about integrating flight assist
electronics from the majority fliers. The only resistance comes from
the top fliers. Does that say something?

Though this matter will never fracture the soaring society, it's
thinking like this that results in bitter division. Why do you think we
have airframe limitations on the assorted classes. Can we tolerate
another class division? It's all up to us. Either we welcome
technological advances or we alienate X-number of fliers, who may or
may not stay with us. I vote for welcome.

Gary

Gary Warner