After the exchange between Ray and Phil I have been thinking.

Inquiring minds would like to know!

How many builder/flyers do we have at the NATS? Aside from my own curiosity,
I think it would be a good gauge for AMA and LSF of the state of the hobby.
It would be nice to know just how many people at the NATS build the planes
that they fly. I have the greatest respect for the people like Phil that
build and fly the molded planes. It takes a real commitment to the hobby and
building to acquire the skills and equipment needed to make composite and
molded plane. I am thinking that of all flyers at the NATS maybe 10-20%
would have built the planes they fly. This is just from observation from
being a spectator, timer, and relief driver of the carts at last years NATS.
I think we will see even less flyer/builder/pilots this year with the
popularity of the Mark D. based design ARFs like the AVA.

That said, maybe we should think about where new blood will come from, and
who is are target new members. Certainly they will not come from the young
people that have families to rise. The silent EXAMPLES we are giving at our
contests say that the average cost of a competitive ship is as much or more
than the young families house payment. Yes, you can get in cheaper but
people learn from what they see (the high percentage of very expensive
planes) and the not what they are told (It is not the equipment it's the
skill of the pilot that counts). It may be time to re-thing, and redirect,
where the AMA and LSF is directing the marketing for new soaring members.

Flame proof pants on!

John