Try with a 2 GB USB, the sizes of 1 Gb sticks do vary (I used an old PN.Y 1 GB Stick) Yours could be slightly too small?

I have used this SoaS-15-1-EFI.img with 3 different brands and sizes of sticks after downloading a copy....
also look at:

http://www.everymac.com/mac-answers/snow-leopard-mac-os-x-faq/mac-os-x-snow-leopard-64-bit-macs-64-bit-efi-boot-in-64-bit-mode.html
Not all Mac's will work with an f16 EFI boot USB
My MacBook Pro is a i7 SandyBridge Model
My Smolt Mac Profile:http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_3947102b-ca8d-49f6-9a2d-d1ab91b74448

The stick does not run on my MacBook Air even after a nomodeset is added to the boot line.

Various Models of Mac's seem to be all different...: (

Cordially;

Tom Gilliard