On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Bert Freudenberg <b...@freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 28.05.2012, at 19:06, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Bert Freudenberg <b...@freudenbergs.de>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> What else can we do besides fixing issues and hoping you package the
>>> result? That's our take on trying to "actively improve the situation".
>>>
>>> Again, Etoys 5 starts fine, Etoys 4.1 not. But we cannot really test distro
>>> stuff if it has not been packaged yet.
>>
>> The last release I remember seeing was an RC (don't remember if it was
>> RC1 or 2) and I had issues and never got back to it and if I must have
>> missed the final release.
>
> I had assumed you would package even release candidates so they can be tested
> in the distro.

I generally would but I had issues and forgot and no one reminded me.

> The final release is the last release candidate, Etoys 5.0.2406. I failed to
> send a separate notice for that, sorry.
>
>>  Ultimately it would be nice if the
>> developers of their Activities checked and tested and emailed the SoaS
>> list if they have issues or the new versions have been missed.
>
> Okay. I didn't want to bug you immediately, and after a while forgot.

Better to bug immediately then I can tag it to deal with it and you
won't forget ;-)

>> We have
>> nightly builds right through the dev process and various
>> Alpha/Beta/RCs etc in the lead up to final for testing. I can't test
>> everything and I'm not fallible and the process we use has clearly
>> defined [1] development schedule to know when fixes need to be in by.
>
> I did send the release announcement on March 30th, so that should have been
> fine for the F17 beta.

I must have missed it.

>>> Regarding the locale directory layout: I did not find a ticket in any of
>>> the trackers, neither upstream nor at sugarlabs or olpc. What would make
>>> the packaging easier for you?
>>
>> To use the same layout that is used by everything else so we can use
>> the standard distro tools to deal with them. Probably the best package
>> to look at is TurtleArt.
>
> Would a symlink be acceptable? This would make it easier for Etoys to find
> the right system folder.

symlinks don't work with the Fedora packaging language tools, I prefer
that as it's what the rest of the sugar stack works with.

>        /usr/share/etoys/locale -> ../../locale
>
>        (would resolve to /usr/share/locale)
>
> If we prefix all Etoys .mo files then they could be installed to the system
> folder.

If you use the usual flags as used by all packages for Linux distros
it means you're standard and it will work with all the various linux
distro options.

Peter