Ervin,

> So we are down to a HW issue if I understand you correctly ... BIOS
> corrections ?      ervin

Hardware is my current guess, and it could be as simple as the onboard
clock is a bit off.

My knowledge in this area is pretty generic.  While I spend a fair
amount of time on NTP, I do not spend much time studying its behavior,
in particular its behavior on all the various OSes.

I did, however, find a FreeBSD6 machine where the drift was "off" enough
that I could run tickadj.  Where I remember this working on earlier
FreeBSD machines (perhaps FreeBSD2-4), so far it has not made a
difference on FreeBSD6.

You aren't doing anything like making ntpd run at a low priority, right?