> I'm running an internal NTP server up against two stratum 1 servers. I'm
up
> and running but what annoys me is the high diff. between with the stratum
> 1's and the Soekris ntp regulated clock with an adjustment of 1-4 seconds
> every app. 20 min and the all time high "jitter". The firewall is UDP
opened
> on port 123.

(Rest Clipped)

First... Did you set your drift file to 500, or did NTP generate that
figure? I would stop NTP, delete the number from your drift file, add a few
more servers to your ntp.conf (2 is not good... 4 would be the recommended
minimum), the start NTP back up and see how it fares.

Also like someone else suggested, check the crystal on your board to see if
it is a 33.33 MHz or if you have an old board it might be different, which
you can use the kernel options to compensate for that.

Did you also build your kernel with the proper options?

options         CPU_ELAN
options         CPU_SOEKRIS

Jason