to which phk@ responded:
> The bios recognition string in src/sys/i386/i386/geode.c needs updated
> to find the 55xx series also.

then, on Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 04:50:30PM -0400, Tom Mazzotta responded:
> $ diff geode.c geode.c.original
> 46c46
> <               { "net5", 0, 8 },       /* net5xxx */
> ---
> >               { "net4", 0, 8 },       /* net45xx */

You should *add* and not replace new strings to the list of oem
signatures (most specific first). The original patch had a
documentation of the central routine used to do this BIOS string
groping. You can read it in the i386/doc PR I just filed at

a side effect of bios_oem_strings(9) is to print out human readable
dmesg of the specific BIOS strings right before the platform-specific
initializations are done. You can see examples of it for Advantech,
PCEngines, and Soekris in FreeBSD sys/i386/i386/ directory.

Adrian