On Sep 4, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

>       Hi Andy, from a guy who is somewhat thankful for never having seen
> himself in the need of setting up a serial device before ;-)
>
> On Sep 4, 2007, at 6:57 AM, Andy Michaels wrote:
>
>> Everyone seems to want to use minicom or some other term app.  I
>> simply
>> use "screen"  It's included in MacOS X, and has a pretty decent
>> manpage, (it's also available for Most *nix systems as well.
>

>       I'm not in any way new to screen, but I wouldn't say either that I'm
> a heavy user. I go as far as remapping some of my bind keys, but the
> other day I had some trouble scrolling up and down a screen buffer ;-)
> In searching the net I've seen that all I'd need to try to start a
> connection is the serial device as a command line argument, but how
> would I go about setting up the various connection parameters I might
> need (baud rate, parity, data width, etc.)? Something through stty?

hmmm, for my soekrii (is that the plural?) I've never had to do too
much to get everything (well, everything I use anyway) working to my
satisfaction.  I generally set the baud rate via an option like so:

$ screen /dev/tty.usbserial0 9600

I've never had to explicitly set the stop-bits or parity, it just
seemed to work.  Of course, YMMV.  I should probably disclose that I
mostly use the console for emergencies and system configuration.  I do
most of the work via SSH, once the system is initially configured.

>>>     Thanks in advance for your help and time! Regards,...
>>>

>> Good luck!
>>
>> -Andy
>>

>       Thanks for your help and time! Regards,...
>

> -jmpp

Glad to be of help.

-Andy