Hi Trevor,

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 12:29 -0800, Trevor Talbot wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2008, at 12:04 AM, Bill Maas wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 13:51 -0800, Trevor Talbot wrote:
>
> >> The thing that started this thread is apparently a set of holes, not
> >> a header. It's unreasonable to expect official documentation for it.
>
> > The thing that started this and a few other threads is there not being
> > a board doc. If you substitute "unpopulated headers" (as I copied from
> > Bernd's text in my hurry) with "various connectors" the story remains
> > exactly the same. If there is a board doc, it will at least be clear
> > what is a board feature and what isn't. No-one has asked such
> > questions about net4[58]x boards, as far as I can remember.
>
> I was actually reinforcing two points there. One was "non-features
> would not be documented", but the second was the fact that what
> actually did start this thread is curiosity about such an undocumented
> thing. It got hijacked to discuss the lack of a manual, but a manual
> wouldn't answer the question anyway.

In this particular case you and Bernd were of course entirely correct:
no board manufacturer has to answer question about unused holes on a
board. But this thread was only the last one in a series of "where is
connector X?" and "what is JPy for?" threads. I was reacting in that
context, I just assumed that would be clear given the number of such
threads started recently. I don't think this list has ever seen so much
curiosity in a Soekris board as it has the last two weeks;).

Bill

"What's a computer?" - MES