On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 09:59:20AM -0400, Randall Nortman wrote:
> Can anybody recommend a GPRS modem that will work with the net4801
> under Linux?  This is for US frequencies -- the only GSM carrier in
> the area at the moment is AT&T/Cingular.  I have all options open on
> the board right now -- CF, Mini-PCI, 3.3v PCI, RS-232, and USB.

I have used Siemens MC35iT which is a basic RS232-attached GPRS modem. It
works fine with Linux pppd. Config is attached below.

That particular unit is GSM900/1800 only, but they have other modules which
do 850 and 1900MHz:
http://www.tdc.co.uk/index.php?key=gprs&nav=gsm
TC65T looks like it would do the trick.

Of course for unattended operation it's up to you to ensure your pppd config
will redial automatically if the line drops, and that you have scripts to
bring up a tunnel automatically if you need one, etc.

However it won't be as neat as a USB or Mini-PCI solution as it's a separate
small box and needs a power supply.

HTH,

Brian.

--------- 8< -----------------------------------------------------
Dial using: pppd call gprs

[/etc/ppp/peers/gprs]
debug
/dev/cuad0 115200 modem crtscts lock
connect "/usr/bin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/gprs.chat"
defaultroute
name web
:
novj