After several months of not using my NET5501, I upgraded the BIOS to
1.33c in preparation of installing FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE. Using PXE, I
installed to a Hard Drive (ATA i/f) that previously ran FreeBSD 6.2 in
the 5501.

The install worked fine, however, after doing a cold restart, I noticed
that the boot process would "hang" for about 20sec before recognizing
the HD, then boot FreeBSD. In this situation, the o/s would ultimately
fail to mount the root fs. If I then hit the RESET switch, I can usually
get the system to fully boot... sometimes I need to hit RESET twice to
get it to work.

Once FreeBSD is running, I can issue a "reboot" command at an o/s
command prompt and the system bounces as expected.

There are a few very similar reports in the list archive, although it
seems that they all were using CF cards. Do all 5501's flashed w/ 1.33c
behave this way, or is this problem limited to a bad batch of system
boards? Does Soekris believe the problems are caused by the storage
devices?

-tm