Hi Robin,

for the really desperate there is yet another escape, which I've tried
with floppies with success, but never with a CF card:

- dd a kernel onto the boot device starting at sector 0
- dd an initrd image right after it using the seek or skip option (this
  involes keeping track of the kernel size in sectors!)
- set the root device offset in the kernel with rdev(8). From the
  manual:

  "Its use is strongly discouraged. Use a boot loader like SysLinux or
  LILO instead."

But those aren't available, are they?. Agreed, it's dirty, hackish.
low-level stuff, and you'll have to figure out the details yourself, but
in your case it may be just the tool you need. I'm not even sure if the
Soekris comBIOS will be able to load the Linux kernel just like that
(with floppies + a PC it always worked). If it does, and if you use the
Debian Installer image as the initrd image, you should be able to
install Debian GNU/Linux as if nothing weird had ever happened;).

Bill

--
Debian Package Management System: The Horror.