> ----- Message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] ---------
>      Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:50:35 +0100 (CET)
>      From: Ebbe Hjorth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   Subject: Re: [Soekris] 5501 boot from cdrom
>        To: soekris-tech@lists.soekris.com
>

>>> Hi,
>>> I tested booting from a CD and it won't work, the Net5501 doesn't
>>> support that, no matter if the drive is connected via USB, SATA or DIE.
>>> Robin
>>>

>> So there is only the netboot way? Thats not for a newbie like me ;)
>
> The simplest way is usually to plug your disk/CF into a desktop
> machine and do a minimal install there, then enable serial port or ssh
> access and put the thing back into the Soekris box.

I have done that - And it seems to be working okay, i just removed the
flash card, and inserted a sata disk, just to have more speed here in the
test period.

in /etc/fstab i changed the 'dax' devices to 'da1'

and the soekris is booting, but instead of the login prompt, it just writes:
<snip>
Starting sshd.
Starting cron.
Local package initialization:.
Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds.

Sun Dec  7 19:31:16 CET 2008
DàDàDàDà

Its the last line i dont understand, where is my login prompt? ;)

Another thing, my brand new sata disk, clicks once i a while, and i have
never heard that before on my other hardware, is that a soekris "feature"?