On Tue, 25 May 2010 20:33:11 -0400, Johan Huldtgren wrote:

>>    Large flash cards are not really so affordable.  The junk ones you get
>> in most stores are certainly large enough.  But, these are almost always
>> MLC(multi-level cell) memory and die way too quickly.  Used SLC cards up
>> to 512 meg seem pretty affordable, but I have not found them much larger
>> at a price I can afford.
>
>The thread was about a home firewall, my current flash card has been
>used first in an SLR, then in my 4801 and now in my 5501, never
>missed a beat so far. Now it's just my home firewall, so it's not
>being pounded to dust, but it's what the OP asked for.
>
>It's a 4GB SanDisk Extreme III
>
>wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <SanDisk SDCFX-4096>
>wd0: 4-sector PIO, LBA, 3908MB, 8005536 sectors
>wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2

And here is an old one:
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <SanDisk SDCFB-512>
wd0: 1-sector PIO, LBA, 488MB, 1000944 sectors

that has been in a 4801 since March 2006. The first year and a half, I
flogged it as hard as I could. Every log was at its most verbose. I was
running spamd (NOT spamasassin!) on the firewall instead of my
mailserver where it runs now. That works /var/log/spamd as hard as it
gets with two domains to look after.

Four years later it doesn't run spamd any more. That is on the server
as it should be but everything else is on it and the logging is
considerable.

Please tell me how to kill it without unplugging it........

I'm also running two BGPd machines on 5501s with 4 port add-on NIC card
handling a busy hosting centre's routing for an IPv4/21 and an IPv6/32.
One on-line, t'other on warm standby.
Disks? No. CF:
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <SanDisk SDCFH2-002G>
wd0: 4-sector PIO, LBA, 1953MB, 4001760 sectors
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2

I've seen more hard disk failures in the last six months than I have
seen CF failures since I discovered them waaaaay back: 5 vs 0.

R/

*** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is
tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled to
reply off list. Thankyou.

Rod/
---
This life is not the real thing.
It is not even in Beta.
If it was, then OpenBSD would already have a man page for it.