> I really want to know the reasons for the decision, not start a flame war- I
> promise

BSD rules, linux drools!  Just kidding :)  I went with BSD as a result
of choosing pfSense for my Soekris.  Several years ago, I tired of
messing with custom built kernels and pretty much anything resembling
spending too much time configuring my home router.  pfSense had an
"embedded" version, which entailed copying a disk image to a CF card
and running a brief serial console setup.  The rest is done through a
web-based UI.

td;dr - pfSense fit my needs for a simple-to-setup distro.

-Andy