Le Mon, 18 Apr 2011 17:20:29 -0400,
Michael Proto <m...@jellydonut.org> a écrit :

Hi,

> With the speed of the Geode CPU in a 5501, you'd likely not see a
> significant (if any) improvement in speed when using userland programs
> like OpenSSL with onboard crypto accelerators. The context-switch from
> userland to kernel for the crypto processing will be much more
> expensive than the crypto itself. I ran some old benchmarks of the
> crypto processor in the Geode LX (can't seem to find them now), but
> with a patched OpenSSL I didn't see any real improvement versus
> letting software do the whole thing.

It depends of the size of the data to crypt ; with the Geode crypto
device there is an improvement (from 3 MBytes to 5 MB) using sftp or
scp. And the load is very lower than with software crypto. Same if you
use "openssl enc".

The benefit starts with a block around 256 octets. IMHO the Geode LX
is slow.

Regards.