Hello Attila,

-----Original Message-----
From: Attila Kinali [mailto:att...@kinali.ch]
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:11 AM
To: f.schuhm...@t-online.de
Cc: soekris-tech@lists.soekris.com
Subject: Re: [Soekris] thermal problem general & crashes ?

>> At their website soekris is telling something about for what the boxes
>> are to
>> use:
>> 1. Small net services
>> 2. Small routers / servers / vpn / wlan

>I'm using my net5501 as a router. And as i said, WLAN crashes the machine. So
i'm using it in a way that is not expected???

What is with the wm (milliwatt) power of the WLAN card?
Too much, let the device turning quickly to hot?

>> With low power consuming parts.
>> All parts soekris were producing, I mean all the lan and all vpn cards
>> are using low power and don’t overheating the soldered on chips from
>> the cards and the boards.

>Those parts were bought from soekris directly. So i assume they have been
tested with the net5501, as they have been sold as accessories for the net5501.

Then the surrounding environment temperature perhaps?

>> Alix - solid aluminium cases
>> For smal routers or firewalls amd only at home use please.
>> If an electrical strike hits the building or 19" rack, the aluminium
>> cases will smelt in seconds and spread out, if the rack is not closed
>> with a front door, very hot liquid aliminium. This can harm human
>> beings and other devices.

>Err... I'm not sure i understand you correctly...
>But, if you really have a full lightning strike on your alix/soekris box and
have the case melting... then the molten metal is the least of your problems as
anyone near the box will be already dead.
>Beside, that the iron sheet of the soekris box will melt as well.

No aluminum cases in business installs please, in some or few cases this is
perhaps ok, but not usual.
Drilling a little hole at the back side of the soekris box to connect an
electric ground cable from the soekris box to the rack will prevent the soekris
box from smelting, but not an aluminum case.
I cannot tell you what is going on if this electric strike does in all points,
in all other companies, they all own different installs and placed in different
environments and I really have seen by my own eyes this
event and trust me or not I don´t want to have a second try!!!! Several meters
to open a windows, to let the smoke out only was be done by a wet t-shirt over
the face.
The metal plated server cases were in one part, sure with electric fire marks at
some places, but the both aluminum cases were looking like toasted bacon with
smelted cheese on the boards.
Nearly the whole device structure was totally damaged, the rack door windows
were spread out all over the room, ok it was a secure  window only little but
very sharpen shards were going over the whole room. Nobody was working in this
room (only for server racks and too cold to work la long time in) If you made
other experiences, you are perhaps a lucky one.
For the metal case based hardware the insurance will pay but not for the
aluminum cases, ok later they were paying also for this because the electric
prevention installation was made false (not deep
enough inside the ground at the outside of the building!!! Perhaps in other
countries there are other laws and house or environment insurance and they are
paying even all, likes in the country you are acting and working.

>> And to prevent the employees and devices from damage is also perhaps a
>> administrative job.

The administrator of the company was saying I´m an employee of this company and
so the company insurance have to pay for me, but first the boss of this company
was telling him he gots no money
>From the insurance and he thinks that the admin should pay the aluminum cases
based hardware, till the insurance was paying.

>> To store this aluminum cases in professional network environments or
>> Infrastructures not to be recommend,

Trust me or not after this event, nobody 50 - 80 km around Hannover will tell
you it is a good choice to store a aluminum based case inside a business network
environment for a very long time.

>I dont see any reason why aluminum cases should not be used in "professional"
environments. I'd rather say that you mix up something.

No Attila, because before this event occurs, I was also thinking, that must be
great to store it in an aluminum case, likes you, because I was seeing the fancy
looking cases from Alix ;) with no heating problems (but also no PCI and hdd
option) kick ass champion device and all problems are away, like many other
peoples. I was finding two very small companies here in Germany they are doing
metal or aluminum based cases in each dimensions you want, also for rack mount
use, till to little series of them if you need more than one case. And you were
able to download a little program to draw the dimensions easy to use and order.

You don´t belief me, here we go Attila <http://www.19zoll.com/> over 200
different variants, from 1 HE or 1U (in English 1U = 1 unit - in German 1HE =
Höheneinheit) to 6 HE,
from server rack mount till desktop cases, also electronic heat preventing and
cooling solutions. Perhaps you let do them a heat pipe construction in a special
case that fits to exactly your needs.
The second good choice I found is  <http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/> but please be
so gentle and ask first at soekris inc. because they are also offering custom
case construction and building and they know perhaps better their material and
components.

Last but not least Attila let me tell you that my English is not very well
formed and is purely wide distances away from native speaking and if a word is
placed plain in a text some people may thinking
that I will kidding only them, at this point, no I don´t want to do so, but with
my English I need mostly more than some few words to explain what I mean. And I
think this is a tech list and no chat room.

Best regards

Frank

__________ Hinweis von ESET NOD32 Antivirus, Signaturdatenbank-Version 6708
(20111213) __________

E-Mail wurde geprüft mit ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com