Fanless computer systems are tricky to keep cool.

I have a little computer around here somewhere (can't find it at the
moment though) which has a rubbery (silcone?) block that fits between
the processor chip and the case - presumably thermally conductive and
electrically insulating.

Anything that can provide a good thermal path from the hot items inside
the case to the case inner surface would reduce the peak temperatures
quite a bit. The case, being larger than the chip, spreads out the heat
transfer and would not get as hot as the chip.

Some of the newer PC cases and motherboards include 'heat pipe'
technology to carry the heat from hot spots to finned heat sinks which
can get rid of the heat. Perhaps one of these gadgets could be found or
made to fit the Soekris cases.

Old laptops are sometimes cooled during charging by standing them on end
so the air circulates better around the hot bottom. Attention to how the
Soekris case is mounted could help in this way (with internal heat path
augmentation).

Hope this helps. Let me know as I have a 5501 (somewhere around here).

Bob G