Hi all,

I have a feeling that the serial console, the only way to configure a Soekris,
is very 1970s. Admittedly it is quite reliable, but slow, fiddly, most modern
computers don't even have a serial port any more, and I've found USB-to-serial
converters quite unreliable, with dropped characters causing issues using the
terminal and boot menu. Also, comBIOS appears to have a bug which causes the
output of many boot loaders (including PXELINUX and GRUB) to be corrupted and
unreadable.

I've found it useful to connect a Wiznet serial-to-LAN gateway to in-school
servers, to allow remote access to the serial console even if the machine is
misbehaving. However this is pretty ugly to look at, and fragile. It would be
great if something like this was embedded on the motherboard.

Even just UDP support in comBIOS would be useful, to allow remote initiated PXE
boot or alternate boot of machines that had a corrupt filesystems. If the BIOS
was open source then we could do this ourselves.

(Incidentally is there a reason that a custom BIOS was written instead of using
LinuxBIOS/coreboot? has anyone done any work on getting coreboot to work on a
Soekris? No Soekris boards are listed on the coreboot compatibility table.)

There is also a USB Client device in the net6501, although not exposed. With a
little bit of work (I hope) on the next version, this could be exposed and
connected to the xilinx, which could act as a virtual serial or LAN adaptor on
the USB side, be able to reset the processor and talk to the comBIOS. Similarly
the xilinx could be wired to an ethernet MAC and handle serial-over-LAN,
appearing to the OS as a virtual serial port.

Finally, there are other PCI devices that might be useful, but are not exposed,
such as the SDIO and TPM interfaces.

Soren, do these sound like useful ideas for the next board?

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 967 838
Future Business, Cam City FC, Milton Rd, Cambridge, CB4 1UY, UK

with company number 04980791.