Hi All,

@David: I hope you don't mind the reply-to-list.

Thanks for your suggestion. I agree that packet handling would be an
interesting topic, but i can't really get an idea on how to actually test it.
Of course, suggestions are welcome :-)

In the meantime a made a script and did some general benchmarking.
1) dd'ing from /dev/zero to /dev/null, to see if and when we reach full memory
bandwidth
2) dd'ing from /dev/urandom to /dev/null, to see how a kernel space CPU
intensive task differs between SMP and non-SMP
3) Calculating 4000 digits of PI using BC, to see how a user space CPU
intensive task differs between SMP and non-SMP

All tests are done three times: With 1 proces, with 2 concurrent processes and
with 3 concurrent processes. Of course these processes are doing the same
thing, they are not 3 threads working on the same process. So in case of test 3
we're calculating PI 3 times.

The script i made to do this is attached to this email, also a PDF export of
the results is attached to this email.

*** warning for the script ***
I used "killall" to kill processes, on Linux this allows you to kill processes
based on their name, but i understood that within *BSD it does what it says on
the box and kills all processes on the system.

My conlusions:
Based on test 1 you can see a pure memory bound process doesn't gain or loose
much with SMP. However, it never reached the full 1500 MB/s reported by
memtest86+.
Based on test 2 and 3 you can see a clear difference between SMP and non-SMP
when it comes to CPU bound tasks.

However, when i relate this to your specific case:
When there was only one process running (ie. the packet handling process) there
is barely a difference between SMP and non-SMP. However, i think you may gain
from SMP when there are other processes running at the same time (syslog,
whatever).
Since there's not much to loose i'd go for SMP anyway.

I don't think this will reflect 32bit vs. 64bit nicely, suggestions this this
are welcome.

Best regards,
Wesley