FWIW, linux has had the capability to patch itself at boot,
replacing slow instructions with fast ones
(article mentions memory-barriers and "mfence" on newer CPUs)

http://lwn.net/Articles/164121/
SMP alternatives
[Posted December 14, 2005 by corbet]

so it may be that a 64bit kernel is just a 32bit kernel that can patch
itself up to run fast on 64bit machines.