On 17 Feb 2015, n...@esperi.org.uk spake thusly:

> On 17 Feb 2015, Andrew Atrens told this:
>
>> It's almost certainly a power issue as power draw for the lan card
>> will not be a static thing - ie will increase when transmitting
>> packets vs idle.
>
> Yes, only I'd expect the increase in power draw to be the same when the
> built-in ports fire up, and *those* work fine. Does the LAN card draw
> more power than the built-in ports for a given amount of work, or
> something?

As of a few minuts ago, I can verify that there's enough power to
really, really run the built-in ports hard even when a lan1741 is
installed. I was maxing it out for hours over two built-in ports,
~15,000 packets a second on each port, ~8MiB/s, pretty close to line
speed, plus normal (a few packets/sec) ADSL usage on the other two
built-in ports. The machine took it happily, even though software
interrupt CPU usage often spiked to nearly 100%.

This sort of load would have rebooted it within moments if the lan1741
had been participating.

--
NULL && (void)