> On Jun 9, 2016, at 11:01 PM, Andrew Atrens <and...@atrens.ca> wrote:
>> On 2016-06-09 8:47 PM, Jed Clear wrote:
>> With the current set up, I ran top during the download.  Never got lower
>> than 25% idle time on the CPU.  ~30% system and and 40+% interrupt.  384M
>> (of 512M) Free on memory, so no issue there.  So doesn’t seem to be pegging
>> the CPU with my full rule set.
> That's interesting.  The relationship between cpu use and throughput is
> pretty linear.  You should be able to 'peg' your cpu unless something
> (ipfw?) is somehow throttling.   You don't have, by chance, 'options
> DUMMYNET'  configured?

My regular rules do have dummy net queues on the uplink, which are now OBE.
And I had initially overlooked the bandwidth setting there. In any event, the
built in "simple" rule set doesn't I think.

> It might also be an tcp-ack-prioritization issue.  You did mention that
> your uplink speed was kind of crappy.   Uplink saturation will affect
> downlink speed if tcp acks aren't getting upstream quickly enough.
> Maybe ipfw is somehow exacerbating that.

5-6Mbps, crappy only in that $BIG_CABLE_CO disabled 5 of the 8 uplink channels
when they "provisioned" my cable modem.

> If the l2 bridge thing works and you're able to peg your net5501 cpu
> then, notwithstanding vr driver fixes you're probably at the limit.
>
> BUGS
>     The vr driver always copies transmit mbuf chains into longword-aligned
>     buffers prior to transmission in order to pacify the Rhine chips.  If
>     buffers are not aligned correctly, the chip will round the supplied
>     buffer address and begin DMAing from the wrong location.  This buffer
>     copying impairs transmit performance on slower systems but cannot be
>     avoided.  On faster machines (e.g. a Pentium II), the performance
> impact
>     is much less noticeable.

Interesting. You'd think the drivers would align the packets on Rx and I
vaguely recall that FreeBSD managed to go zero copy a few major versions ago.
Although that could be for straight forwarding.  IPFW and NAT might behave
differently.  Not sure I'd have any control over it.

Also recalled that I was running ntpd and named (caching) on the 5501. Turning
off ntpd added 5 to the download speed. Turning both off didn't increase that.
Didn't think to unplug the GPS which causes a 1 PPS DCD interrupt as well as
the 4800 bps serial interrupts. Will give that a try, too. I have the PPS
option in the kernel if anyone knows of an interaction.

-Jed