On Jun 14, 2016, at 8:50 PM, Jed Clear <cl...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
On Jun 9, 2016, at 11:01 PM, Andrew Atrens <and...@atrens.ca> wrote:
> On 2016-06-09 8:47 PM, Jed Clear wrote:
>>> Thanks for the replies so far.  Looks like I’ll have to wait until Saturday
>>> to test further. Starting with an L2 bridge seems like a good baseline to
>>> try.  Although will probably take the easier step of just NAT w/o rules
>>> first.
>> At it's most basic, an l2 bridge can be created using -
>>
>> ifconfig bridge0 create
>> ifconfig bridge0 addm vr0 addm vr1 up
>
> Had an interesting time getting this working.  First no “device if_bridge” in
> my kernel (and nanobsd set to not install any kernel modules).  Installed a
> new kernel and configured the bridge.  But can’t DHCP across the bridge0.
> Finally had to directly attach the laptop to cable modem, let it DHCP and
> then reinstall the net5501 bridge.  At that point I was able to download at
> 83.  While directly connected to do the DHCP, the same test got 90.  But was
> GbE to the cable modem.  So I’m thinking 83 is pretty good for 100BASE-T
> interfaces.
>
> The bridge test didn’t come off until now because I’d forgotten a few real
> life things I had to do.  But I did do some more thinking and googling during
> the time away.   I don’t think I mentioned that I’m still set up to do NAT
> with natd and ipfw divert.  Got to thinking that switching in and out of the
> kernel context a few times a packet might not be too good for throughput.  So
> next I’m going to see if I can change that over to ipfw kernel NAT.  Don’t
> even recall that there was a kernel nat option when I first set this up,
> many, many moons ago.  Probably have to add another kernel option….

Of course it required a new kernel option.  In fact it required two.  I will
spare you the tale of figuring the second one out.  As many have commented on
other boards, ipfw kernel NAT is not well documented.

But it was worth it.  I now get 82 Mbps download through the 5501, with
essentially the same firewall rule set.   I did drop dummynet and the inbound
server NAT rules as I no longer have a static IP and I haven’t decided if I’m
going the dynDNS course or sign up for external hosting/VPS/cloud.  And I
believe inbound FTP will no longer be an an option as the “punch” dynamic rules
only work with natd.  But FTP is no loss.

-Jed