>On Sep 4, 2016, at 6:10 PM, Nenhum_de_Nos <math...@eternamente.info> wrote:
>
> David,
>
> I won't laugh at all. I am now leaving both pfsense and soekris and I am
> building a RPI2 box just to this role. So far, so good. Till next weekend I
> may have it running as backup router, and soon after the main one. Must be
> prepared to change my 5501-70. The 6501-70 passed away first :/

Firstly, my Net5501 machines have been tremendously reliable. My Net6501 has
also been fine but I don’t want to press my luck.

I just read about a machine called the Banana Pi in Linux Journal. The column
was about building a low powered NAS box. Your Mileage May Vary but that might
be a more appropriate solution. The Banana Pi is still ARM but it’s available
in System On Chip format with 4 x Gb ethernet. Gigabit is a requirement for me
since my ISP has just made 60Mb/s it’s minimum Tier. I upgraded from Net5501 to
Net6501 because the Net5501’s 100Mb/s NICs were limiting my Internet speeds to
85Mb/s.

I can’t move to Banana Pi today because I won’t move off of OpenBSD. Having
said that it’s not an issue for me because I moved my Net6501 into the
background about a year ago over health concerns I saw here. I replaced it with
a 1U SuperMicro Atom. The power draw is similar but the machine seems to be a
bit more rugged.

Chris

      __o          "All I was trying to do was get home from work."
    _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
Christopher Sean Hilton                    [chris/at/vindaloo/dot/com]