On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 08:04:19AM -0500, BKW Soekris wrote:
> Thanks everybody for your replies.  Several good suggestions, with
> Supermicro, PC Engines, and Netgate.  Although, with the Atom processor
> discontinued, it looks like some of the smaller Supermicro and Netgate
> options are about to go away.

Some of Supermicro's Xeon E3 motherboards will fit nicely inside their 11"
inch deep 1U cases. At least, they did and have worked well for the 4 Ivy
Bridge and Haswell systems I put together several years ago using their
CSE-510-200B series cases. Just pay very close attention to the
specifications, including power connectors and the backplate layout. Because
the combinations aren't marketed together it's easy to mismatch parts.

They're not fanless but the Xeon E3 chips are ridiculously low-power. IIRC,
the Ivy Bridge 4-core (8-thread) E3-1230 v2 system I tested never exceeded
60W at full throttle, and that was measuring the external power draw. The
Haswell E3-1230 v3 has a higher rated TDP but was similarly efficient. I
took measurements using real workloads as well as some simple C programs
which tried to stress both the CPU and RAM in various ways. It's really just
incredible how low-power they are for their performance. Note that neither
had an on-chip GPU, unlike some of the Xeon E3 models.

Those are overpowered and much more expensive than, e.g., a PC Engines
solution. (I have several APU2s.) OTOH, they're price and form factor
competitive with Supermicro-based Atom solutions.