From: Harald Welte [mailto:lafo...@gnumonks.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:04 AM
To: Bryan
Cc: 'Chris Cappuccio'; soekris-tech@lists.soekris.com
Subject: Re: [Soekris] net6501 (Red Light Of Death) debugging

Hi Bryan,

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 06:53:04AM -0700, Bryan wrote:
> Is that even possible without wave technology?

It's called "BGA rework" and it is possible with a BGA rework station
[to which I have access to].  However, it's rather tricky and
time-consuming,
and you'd also have to find the exact part number of the CPU that's used on
the boards.  It's not like you can normally buy the solder-type Intel CPUs
at Digikey
or Mouser ;)

So no, not something I would want to venture in.  At that point it makes
more
sense to build an enclosure for the PC Engines APU3 and an external PCIe
card.

The problem is that there's basically no alternative to the net6501 on the
market
if you require 1U, fanless, small (short 1U enclosure), and a single PCIe
slot.

The APU3 board exists, but nobody seems to be offering an enclosure to mount
the board with an actual PCIe card adjacent to it.

Regards,
        Harald

--
- Harald Welte <lafo...@gnumonks.org>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/