That's a good way.

One time I opened a .scn with WinRAR by accident and to my surprise, it was
a compressed archive with several files, one of which contained the scene
version quite plainly. Scene data, however, was binary.

It made me ponder if one could edit the version file or at least swap it
with that of an older version, would the scene still open if no new
features were used? Oh the mysteries...