I keep a Plugin Manager open and the Script Editor open to the file of my
plugin. I write to it outside of SI, save and when I switch back XSI
detects it changed and reloads the plugin. I try using it, find a bug,
rinse, repeat...

Pretty rudimentary but it works.

Oh, and the best general code editor in this corner of the universe as far
as I'm concerned: http://www.sublimetext.com/2