I do not understand specifically the problem you are having, but you
can refresh the image clips by toggling this value on them

SetValue "Clips.noIcon_pic.ImageDefinitionType", 0
SetValue "Clips.noIcon_pic.ImageDefinitionType", 1

Which reminds me.. when you used .pics, it was sending the path to
mental ray. then when you switched to .psd. it was sending a copy of
the bits instead. And when you set it back to .pic, it probably didn't
reset that.  In other words, it changed that parameter,
ImageDefintionType, which in the UI is in the Image Clip PPG under
"Texturing->Image Management". It's also toggled by the "Enable
Effects" button