so you need to reassign and preserve cluster info? there is a pretty good
chance any clusters made by the user will no longer be aligned with your
new data, so preserving the old data would be quite difficult from my
perspective. also any topological operators will fail to be useful. from
what i can gather from your task you will need to remove the entire
operator stack, storing supported ops, then rebuild the mesh and re apply
the operators. maybe you give some more info about what you are trying to
achieve?

also the rendertree/materials will stay intact on the object, unless you
mean cluster/per face materials?