????

Your history is skewed, Daniel.

Maya made it's debut in 1998 and was sold in modules at $7-10K USD apiece
depending on the module.  The whole package cost $35K USD.

Softimage|XSI made it's debut in 2000 at just under $12K USD for the advanced
license, and just under $6K USD for the essentials license.

In 2002 Softimage was noticeably cutting into Maya's userbase with it's lower
price and rapid development, but they got cocky and with XSI v3.0 raised their
prices to $8K and $14K for essentials and advanced respectively.  About two
months later Alias|Wavefront wised up and dropped their price to near $7K USD
for the complete package to undercut Softimage.  Softimage didn't budge
thinking they were the shizzle.  That was the beginning of the end as I saw it.
 I was running an authorized Softimage training center in Chicago at the time.
Prior to the price reductions I was getting an average of 15-20 calls per month
for  Softimage training with the numbers slowly increasing month over month.
After the Maya price drop (April 2002), in less than 6 weeks Softimage training
inquiries dropped to 2 inquiries per month and never recovered.  I tried to
tough it out another couple of years under the hope Softimage would learn it's
lesson and regroup, but they never did and I had to close the business.

Matt