I built the emit srt-matched instances compound a few years back prior to
momentum and implosia entering the scene. The idea was to pre-cut geometry
using pre-ice scripts that are probably still around (though later I began to
use Houdini to make fragmented models, looked better.) the compound then simply
makes I standing all the fragments easy for use with standard ice RBDs.

Today I too would just use MoM/implosia, but it's not difficult to old-school
shattering, just irritating . :)