Usually this happened (in my own experience) when you have a EXR
(float) that is crisp and you use it for both lighting and reflection.
So my suggestion would be:

1.) Blur the crap out of the EXR and use it for FG lighting
2.) Tonemap and make a 8-bit image to be used as the reflection map.

There are applications that can do this for you.

http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/software.html

Anyhow, a bit late in the game, but I hope you solve it.

regards
stefan andersson

stefan andersson - digital janitor - http://sanders3d.wordpress.com