You may wanna try Guillaume's "Polygon Islands Transformation" ICE addon:
http://frenchdog.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/polygon-islands-transformation-using-ice/

Once you have your islands as particles, then it's quite trivial to
offset them with noise and such.

There may be smarter ways to do what you're after, however. I'm just
throwing out what came to mind first.
Hope it helps.
Cheers,

  -- Alan