Hi Matt,

for people in the US, there´s pretty good refurbished hardware
available from Apple, Dell, HP and possibly a bunch more:

HP
http://www.hp.com/sbso/buspurchase_refurbished_specials.html?

Dell (laptop link but there´s more if you search for refurbished on the site)
http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/precision-laptops

Apple
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

I would think that the above and the likes give a good balance between
guaranteed performance and pricing for a dedicated home use and may
allow to access features otherwise too expensive to justify for
a personal machine.

Personally, I wouldn´t expect a laptop to last longer than 2 years
for it´s primary use but can imagine there´s enough options to pick
from for a solid, mobile experience and a pricetag that´s justifiable
accordingly.

It shouldn´t hurt too much if it´s stolen or broken suddenly, imo.

Cheers,

tim